Chocolate Covered Strawberries
You will need:
Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
White chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (optional)
1. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Wash and dry the strawberries.
3. Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt it, making sure the chocolate does not burn. This step, along with step 4 should be completed by an adult as the bowl containing the chocolate can get very hot. *
4. Add a few drops of oil to the melted chocolate and mix it in with a spoon, to make the chocolate a little smoother.
5. Let the chocolate cool for a few minutes, taking care to make sure the outside of the bowl and melted chocolate isn't still hot before your child takes over with the truly fun part in step 6.
6. Each strawberry can now be dipped in the chocolate by your child and placed carefully on the parchment lined tray.
7. If you and your child want to get even fancier, melt the white chocolate in a similiar fashion to the semi-sweet chocolate in steps three to five, once all of the strawberries have been dipped. Then have your child take a spoon, and drizzle the white chocolate across the strawberries, to create a zig zag pattern.
8. Place the tray of strawberries into the refrigerator for the chocolate to harden.
* The chocolate can alternatively be melted in a double-boiler and transferred to a bowl to cool.
Chocolate covered strawberries provide a great hostess gift or dessert for your own table. Best of all, it can be kid-made with beautiful results.